Why a Nigerian Dwarf for my milker, you ask?
I will list the reasons.
1) Goats milk is easier to digest than cow's milk.It contains less lactose than cows milk and is typically digested in 20 minutes.This is because it is naturally homogenized with smaller fat particles evenly suspended in the milk.It contains vitamins, minerals, trace elements,electrolytes, enzymes and has a simple protein complex.
2) It tastes better.Among dairy breeds, Nigerian goat milk has the highest levels of butterfat,making it very creamy.
Since butterfat gives milk it s sweet flavor it does not have a goatie taste.
3) Nigerian Does will breed year round, other breeds only in the fall. This way you can stagger your does so that they kid at different times to assure a year round supply of milk.
4) Nigerian dwarfs are smaller , no taller than 20 " and less than 75 lbs.Given their small size two can live in a 20 sq ft space, making them a good choice for small suburban lots.Because of their small size and docile nature any one can handle them, from small children to seniors.
5) They are more cost effective by virtue of being cheaper to obtain than the larger breeds.Good quality doelings can be purchased from breeders for $300-$500 per goat
Cheaper without papers.They usually produce anywhere from 2-5 kids , so one could build up a milking herd quickly or set up friends.
They also more affordable to feed than the larger breeds AND produce less waste.
So if you are looking to supply your family with safe, high quality milk that they will drink,the Nigerian Dwarf is for you.They are fun,easy to keep critters with tons of personality.
We call them "Barnyard Puppies"